Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trenches of Motherhood


When I was in high school, I was a trouble maker and by the time I was a senior had started to hang out with the wrong crowd. Luckly the fates of destiny intervened during my 7th period Government class with Mr.Patterson out in the trailers.

Mr. Patterson didn't like me. I talked to much and couldn't understand the basic's of the way our government is built (What comes around goes around, how ironic that i'm teaching government now?) He had one of those signs that said "Welcome" on one side and "We're closed" on the other. One day i stole it from him. I told you, i was a trouble maker. To this day I regret taking that sign.

point being- he had plenty of reasons not to like me. One day a girl who was sitting in front of me turned around and commented on how she liked my shoes. She had dark long curly hair and the most gorgeous lashes that came with big brown eyes. I had never seen her at school before but I told her thanks and explained how I worked at nine west and....before i could finish, Mr. Patterson interupts and asks me if i want to share with the rest of the class what I'm talking about. Being the disrespectful-senior-who-thought-she-owned-the-school I said I would Love to share with the class the story of how I got the shoes I was wearing.

Poor Mr.Patterson didn't know how much I loved to talk...10 mintues later i finish my story and he just stared at me and then went on with his lecture. The brown haired girl in front of me couldn't stop giggling. She thought I was funny and it turned out she was hilarious.

Alison was her name, and over the next few weeks we realized that we not only had the same birthday but the same car (just different color), same shoes, pants, shirt, and bag. this list could go on and on and on.

In the end this brown eyed girl became my best friend and greatest example. She was the answer to my mother pleading prayers - someone to pull me out of hanging out with the wrong crowd. We still got into mischief but it was more of an adventure than anything. Like the time we went to the mall and a huge thunderstorm came and cut off all the electricity. By the time that we had left the mall and gotten into the car we were drenching. For some reason or another we had the great idea that if we took off our shirts and pants, the seats wouldnt get as wet. That didn't go so well when we realized that we couldn't even drive on the road because the water was too high. we had to pull over to the side of the road and some innocent man who thought he was being helpful stopped to see if we were okay.

Took that man by surprise.

I've learned a lot from her over the years and to this day I still firmly believe that she helped me become who I am today.

Alison started a blog, Trenches of Motherhood, and after rolling around on the floor with tears streaming down my face while I read it because how funny it was, I HAD to share it with you...it is hilarious.

http://alisonwelti.blogspot.com/ for some reason i can't get it to link directly..weird.

No comments: